Hippocampus Magazine and Books is pleased to welcome our friends from Lancaster Story Slam to this year's event, as they produce a special HippoCamp Edition of their monthly, live storytelling event.
On Friday, Aug. 12, we'll welcome up to 8-10 storytellers to the stage to share their story.
The theme is: TBA!
We’ll also have door prizes between stories so that everyone in attendance has a chance to play along, whether they sign up to tell a story or not.
TO SIGN UP
- Put your name in and sign a video release form before the event starts (doors open at 7:45)
- We’ll randomly select 8-10 storytellers (based on how we’re doing on time)
While a Story Slam is a competition, we don’t take the competitive part too seriously. Our goal is to provide a fun night of stories, and we are always thrilled to see first-time storytellers!
Official Rules for the HippoCamp Story Slam:
- Storytellers sign up upon arrival. Names are drawn out of a hat to decide order of presentation.
- Stories should fit into the theme of the night!
- Stories should be true as you remember it!
- Stories should be under five minutes in length!
- No Notes, No Props, No Music!
- Three judges are selected from the audience. Each storyteller is given a score on a scale of 1-10 for two different criteria: content and presentation. At the end of the night, the winner and runner-up will be announced and prizes awarded.
Lancaster Story SlamLearn more
JJ Sheffer produces York Story Slam, Lancaster Story Slam, PechaKucha Night York, and several other arts and humanities programs in York, Pennsylvania, that aim to give smart people an audience and a microphone. She is a massive fan of storytelling in general and story slams in particular.