We're taking the venue's lead with conference room set-up and logistics -- they're event experts and are adhering to all state, local, and federal guidelines, which as you know will remain fluid between now and August. We plan to update this page as well as send official updates to registered attendees.
Hippocampus Magazine, and by extension, HippoCamp, aims to foster a community rooted in empathy, reflection, and a deep and abiding love for the truth. We believe in science, and we believe in community care and doing the right thing for each other, even when it's uncomfortable or takes a little more time. So, as we gather this summer, it's vitally important to us that everyone feels as safe as possible.
As per the CDC, being fully vaccinated (and boosted, when eligible) is the best protection against getting sick -- but as concerns about variants arise and as information evolves, there's more that individuals and organizations can do. While we're limited in what we can enforce, what we CAN do is prepare our attendees and encourage safe practices before, during, and after the event.
For your own personal safety, for those around you in your daily lives, and for those you'll encounter during your travels and at the conference, we are asking that all attendees to:
- Wear a mask when gathering together, regardless of your vaccination status* -- we will have masks for you if you need one.
We also strongly encourage attendees (and all conference volunteers) to:
- Wash or sanitize your hands frequently (there will be sanitizing stations throughout the Marriott)
- Take a COVID test less than 72 hours before the conference; if you test positive, we ask that you refrain from coming.
We will have disposable gloves and take-out containers available at all meals.
As we get questions and new information, we'll continue to make minor adjustments/additions that promote safety.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we make adjustments to our conference spaces, policies, and recommendations during this evolving pandemic. And thank you for doing your part to help HippoCamp stay safe.
*This does not apply during meals, when someone is speaking in front of the room (ex: presenters during a session), or if someone is unable to wear a mask, as per this ADA information. We realize mask use is an evolving situation and that, as of April 19, 2022, the mask mandate has been lifted by the TSA for mass transportation. As of April 20, 2022, we plan on maintaining our stance that masks are required in shared conference spaces.
In addition to the timely updates provided here, for reference, the rest of the page features resources, tools, and our original COVID-related content that has since evolved:
Staying Up to Date
We recommend the following CDC resources to help you plan your travel and interactions during the conference:
- Interim Guidance for Vaccinated People
- PA Department of Health - Coronavirus Information
- ADA Guidance on Mask Wearing
- How to Protect Yourself and Others When You've Been Fully Vaccinated
- Mental Health and Coping With Stress During COVID-19
The CDC recommends that fully vaccinated people take the extra precaution of wearing a mask indoors if they are in areas with substantial or high transmission rates. View a U.S. county-by-county map. (To see the most current status for HippoCamp's location, search for PA > Lancaster County.)
These documents from the Marriott may also be helpful:
- Marriott's Event Code of Conduct [PDF link coming soon for 2022 update]
- Marriott's Commitment to Clean [PDF link coming soon for 2022 update]
Some of the precautions/arrangements we're prepared to take include but aren't limited to:
- Multiple registration desks to accommodate social distancing requirements
- Multiple book sale browsing stations vs. one large table to accommodate social distancing requirements (+ ability to pre-order)
- Adjusted seating chart and/or room capacity to allow distance between attendees based on the current guidelines
- Our typical buffet-style meals will be adjusted to include protective barriers and an option to be served vs. a self-serve line – as well as the option for take-out boxes.
- Our welcome reception could be relocated to a larger location to allow for proper distancing and the menu will also be adjusted
- Masks and sanitizers will be provided/available at all times by the venue, as well as by Hippocampus
- Our registration form will require users to check a box that they'll adhere to the the conference and hotel's code of conduct -- we do this every year, but this year's code, like in 2021, will be updated with COVID/safety expectations